Sectionalized-reading: Chapter 1
At first I will give the lines and the page of the section, then I will shortly state what this section is about and
afterwards write what I thought and felt while reading that section.
1. Section: p.9 ll. 1-5
Content: It's described what Jonas thinks being frightened would feel like.
Thoughts/Feelings: - compassion => Jonas isn't even sure what it is that he feels
- not being able to express his own feelings with words what would that be like?
- I think being frightened is not only the feeling of knowing that something terrible is about to happen,it's also something more it can be a slight nervousness to paralyzing fear and panic.
Everyone feels frightened for different reasons so it depends how you look at it, for some it might be because of thunder others are frightened of unknown things... (for example a lot of people are afraid of the dark because they don't know what could be hiding in the shadows)
2. Section: p.9 ll. 5-20
Content: Jonas sees an unidentified aircraft.
Thoughts/Feelings: - why is he so afraid? It's nothing bad.
- the community sounds like a boring place, it must be, when the children get so enthusiastic as soon as they see the plane with supplies flying over the community
- you are able to see how much the people depend on the community, because they are confused, afraid and
wait for an explanation only because of an aircraft
3. Section: p.9/10 ll. 21-5
Content: The people are ordered to go inside.
Thoughts/Feelings: - why are they so obedient if they can't even see who is ordering them?
- why are they going inside? It's not like they're in danger or something.
- It's like Jonas got nervous as soon as the community wasn't in the same state as always
4. Section: p.10 ll. 6-23
Content: The reason for the strayed aircraft and the punishment for the pilot are announced.Jonas remembers the mistake he made while playing.
Thoughts/Feelings: -If being released is so bad why is it decided because of such trivial reasons?
- It seems that the people are unable to live without the community otherwise being released wouldn't be so terrible.
- why is Jonas scolded because he used the word while he played without thinking? He is still a kid and this shouldn't be a reason to get scolded it would have been a reason if he hit someone, but not because of that
5. Section: p.10/11 ll. 24-21